Monday, January 17, 2022

Retirement allows steady progress......

 Retirement has meant a should have a lot more time to keep this blog current.......but in fact it hasn't worked out that way.

I find I'm just as busy doing a lot of things that take time out of each day. Drive times to stores etc. has increased significantly from my Va Beach digs.  Living just south of Charleston (Ravenel SC) means dealing with a lot of traffic at times during the day. I'm not complaining......just a reality.

I have spent a good amount of time on my new On30 layout, modeling the section of the Sandy River from Phillips to Farmington. This is the first time I've decided to devote a lot more physical space to "scenic runs" rather than filling the space with more and more trackage. I like the way it's turning out.



As an example, here is my rendition of the Barker Stream bridge near Maplewood. I've devoted about 8' of space to try to get a train to look good crossing it.  There were a lot of photos taken from this spot and it is pictured in most of the books published on the SR&RL's. Have to change to lettering/numbering  on the engine and some rolling stock back to original SR as they were lettered for my previous freelanced layout.



I've enjoyed doing this type of scenery modeling. I'm trying to replicate actual photo locations whenever possible. Most all the Maine 2' enthusiasts have read the same books I did, so it's nice to have a common connection with them as they see the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment